Thursday, March 5, 2009

Broadened (breakfast) horizons


Allison is at the hospital this morning for rounds, her 2nd day working in the pediatrics wards. I’m going to join her when she goes back to the hospital after lunch. In the mean time, having free time this morning and being well rested and all, I figured I’d dump another blog post.

So I’m a fan of breakfast. Back home its usually coffee, OJ, and cold cereal. Cold OJ, and cold cereal with cold milk. Yes, I’m emphasizing the word “cold”. And this is my morning meal routine at least 6 days a week back home…

Cold isn’t part of breakfast here at the IU house. Milk and juice are served from room temperature cartons that only say refrigerate after opening. Which I’m sure is quite fine, but I couldn’t deal with the thought of cereal without cold milk, so I looked elsewhere.

I grabbed a banana (really fresh and tasty!) and toast with peanut butter/jam. And warm OJ (which was fine) and some good strong coffee. And after looking at what everybody else was trying, I tried this lovely concoction called “Nutella” on a biscuit. It’s a kind of chocolately peanut butter-like spread that apparently is based on hazelnuts. Maybe the Coco Puffs of toast spreads?!? Somebody said its hugely popular in Europe, though Allison said she’s seen it in the grocery store back home. I’m not sure it’s a typical Kenyan breakfast item, but it’s a little more international than Cinnamon Toast Crunch! What I do know is that I’ll be trying it with banana slices on toast tomorrow morning.

So there’s your random entry about breakfast. Seems very blog-like to me.

5 comments:

  1. Nutella rules! A staple on mission trips! From their website:

    "NUTELLA BREAKFAST IS CLOSE TO THE IDEAL FOOD REPARTITION RECOMMENDED BY THE 2005 DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR AMERICANS."

    "Nutella is a delicious hazelnut spread that contains quality ingredients such as skim milk and a hint of cocoa. Nutella spread on whole wheat bread, or any multigrain product, with orange juice or skim milk is a good combination for a balanced breakfast that the entire family will enjoy. Nutella contains no artificial colors or preservatives, and is made with hazelnuts which are a great source of vitamins."

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy(the dog) is doing fine. The weather here is warm and she got to be tied outside for a while today. She seems to enjoy George's toys (the other granddog who is also visiting this weekend while mom and dad are in Colorado). She lays on her bed in the living room and George gets his "king" position on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we lived on Nutella as our (almost daily) treat! tastes good on bread and bananas! Funny thing is most Africans dont like chocolate, so its mainly for the Europeans. And its like 3 bucks cheaper here!
    Praying for you guys!!
    Timbies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kobe Bryant was a spokesperson for Nutella and yes you can buy it in the states. Huge product in Europe they thought would catch on big inthe US. But Kobe got dumped from sponsering Nutella when he got in the legal hotwater.

    Lots of prayers for you both! Love the blog! Kristen, Frank and Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am NUTTY about Nutella. My favorite application is between two refrigerator-cold, leftover pancakes -- yum!

    ReplyDelete